Stat Counter

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Kobe Bryant, NBA Marriages, and Why I Never Married a Baller

Dear Readers,

Kobe and Vanessa Bryant
I'm sharing stuff you need to know.  In this case, it's probably something you already knew.  It's a couple of days after the fact...but whatever, it's still relevant...

If you should happen to have a little thing called:
The Internet...
Cable TV...
Facebook...
Twitter...
Even a subscription to your local newspaper...
You now know that Kobe Bryant's wife has filed for a divorce.

If For Some Reason You've Lived Under a Rock For The Past Decade:
Kobe plays for the Los Angeles Lakers and is probably one of the NBA's best players of all time.   I KNOW I'M GOING TO GET FAN UN-MAIL FOR THIS ONE...But it's true.  

Let's get one thing straight:  In my opinion Michael Jordan is the all time best NBA player.
Michael Jordan, aka, the best basketball player ever (in my opinion)
However, my opinion is biased because I grew up around Chicago in the 90's.  And I have owned a pair of Jordans (shoes).  And back in the day I used to play basketball.  At the same time Jordan did.  So I will forever have a bond with Michael Jordan and will stay true to him until the end of time.  (And now ends my rant for my love of Jordan.)



Jordans- 1997
Ok, I'm not totally done with my MJ rant...I want to point out that I owned these shoes--->     over here on the right.  I think they were 1997 Jordans??  Whatever, I remember tailgating the mall to get in line for these things and I bought a pair that WEREN'T EVEN IN MY SIZE just so I could have them.  They were like $150 or something.  And $150 in 1997 is like $1,000 now (Ok, I'm not the best at math and my conversion is probably way off).  But it was A LOT at the time for a high school kid to be buying with her own money.  At any rate kids...Michael Jordan was a big deal and you need to recognize that.  I don't even know if Kobe has shoes.  I'm sure he does.  But I'm a grown adult now and have no need for high top tennis shoes.  So I have no idea.  

I'm Not a Kobe Fan:
Never have been one.  I'm just going off of public opinion.  The guy makes tons of money...So it doesn't matter if he is or isn't one of the best players ever...He's getting paid like he is.


**Mainly, I'm not a Kobe fan because my loyalties remain with Michael Jordan...

How Am I Qualified To Talk About The Subject Of Sports?:
IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM AM I A SPORTS ANALYST.  However, what I am an analyst of is pop culture and all things celebrity related.  I've talked before how celebrity news is my little secret.  (**For more on my secret love affair for all things celebrity related:  Read this blog post: "There's Something I Need To Confess".)

Ok back to how you should take into serious consideration my knowledge of:  How-Athletes-Are-Sometimes-Celebrities-And-By-Being-A-Celebrity-I-Am-A-Credible-And-Reliable-Source-Of-Information...
A lot of times sports athletes are also celebrities.  Or if they aren't already a celebrity themselves sometimes they marry a celebrity (Example:  Kris Humphries and Kim Kardashian).  By marrying a celebrity they therefore turn into one.  Seriously, who knew who Kris Humphries was before he married a Kardashian??  No one.  And because I know for a fact I have entirely too much knowledge of the inner workings of all things celebrity related...You should pretty much hear me out.  


For example: (Not to show off or anything) Off the top of my head I can think of several celebrity/NBA marriages that are no longer.  (No research...this is just me pulling out very important information that I have at my disposal...and thereby should give me credibility of my awesome celebrity knowledge.)


My List of Celebrities/NBA Players Marriages That Are No Longer:
  • Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries
  • Eva Longoria and Tony Parker
  • Michael Jordan and his ex Jaunita Vanoy
  • Jason Kidd and Joumana Kidd
  • Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra
  • Rick Fox and Vanessa Williams
  • Shaq and Shaunie O'Neal
And this is just the NBA we're talking about...I'm not even getting into other sports...If I did we could be at this ALL DAY.

Alright, back to the situation at hand...After ten and a half years of marriage it's over for Kobe and Vanessa Bryant.

The genius part is that per California law...a spouse gets half:  IF THE MARRIAGE IS OVER TEN YEARS.

She filed right at ten and a half years.

And there was no pre-nup  

Kobe's estimated net worth is $200 million dollars.  The dude made $24.8 million dollars this year.

His soon to be ex wife stood by him for over a decade...through the scandal in 2003...And I'm fairly certain she knew about some of his other ladies on the side.  It's either crazy or genius.  Probably a little of both.

It is in my opinion that she is a genius.  Or has an adviser that is a genius.  Which would make her a genius by association.

There's A Lot Of Reasons I Never Married An NBA Baller:
  • **INSERT ANY STORY YOU'VE EVER HEARD ABOUT AN NBA PLAYER'S MARRIAGE.
  • I've never dated an NBA player...so that could also be a reason.
  • My primary reason I could never marry an NBA Baller is:  I'd never put up with the cheating.  I couldn't sit back, knowing my boo was most likely cheating on me...for ten years...Even for $100 million.  So is SHE crazy?  Or am I crazy?  She's getting $100 million.
Sometimes I think we overlook just how hard these NBA wives work.  Did Vanessa Bryant have a full time job??  No.  Did she have to worry that her boo was cheating on her 24/7?? Yes.  Personally, I'd rather work full time.

Are all NBA marriages bad??  NO.  We just don't hear about the good ones.  Good stories don't sell.  No one wants to hear about the amazing marriage that an NBA player has, in addition to making millions and millions of dollars.  We don't want to hear that.  That doesn't make us feel better about ourselves.  So, as the general public we don't hear about the good.  Just the bad.  Sad sells.

I personally have never been married.  I've heard that it is hard.  Yet, I myself, do not know what it all entails.  So I cannot speak as to what marriage is and is not.  What I do know is that:  Life is hard.  Even without the whole NBA-marriage thing.  You throw a couple hundred million dollars into the marriage mix and you get a whole different set of worries.


Don't ever discount rap music for the prolific messages in their songs: The Notorious B.I.G. and Diddy were right:  More Money = More Problems.



And because this blog is based on happiness and positive energy...The point I'm trying to make is: I'm with Biggie and Diddy on this one:  More Money leads to More Problems.

Luckily, for most of us...We aren't faced with the choice of having to stay with our significant others in order to make millions.  We get to stay with our boo's because we want to. 

Let's Reflect:  What Have We Learned:
  • You marry an NBA player, have no pre-nup, live in California, stick with him for a decade...You're going to get paid.
  • I had a pair of Jordans.  That I sold on ebay a couple of years ago for $100.  
  • I love celebrity gossip and should go on a game show or something to bank on my knowledge of seemingly useless information. 


So, I Ask You:
What are your thoughts on this??  Would you stay for ten years??  Do you think Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time??  Do you think Mo Money means Mo Problems??

Forever, Blogging About Things You Already Know,
Miss Oakley

 **Comments are welcome & no judgement will be passed.
 **As with everything I write, Feel Free to Share.
 **Should you wish to read more of my completely profound thoughts throughout the day...
          Follow my twitter account @Miss Oakley

2 comments:

  1. Michael Jordan is THE GREATEST basketball player of all time. There is no question about it. As to whether she is a genius or has a genius adviser... tough call. Either way, well played Mrs. Bryant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly:

    Michael Jordan is the best NBA player of all time.
    Vanessa Bryant is the best player of all time in her game.

    ReplyDelete