Stat Counter

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cool Your Jets...I'm Back


Dear Readers,

My apologies for the brief hiatus.  I realize that worldwide, as loyal readers, you have been collectively holding your breath and waiting for a new blog post.  It's been about a week since I last posted and I'm pretty sure by now, the lack of posts has been deemed an international crisis.  I can't be certain...but there's probably a candlelight vigil going on right now somewhere in hopes of the return of this cherished and much loved blog...

Blow out your candles people.  And stop with all the fan mail...For I am back.

ANNOUNCEMENT:  I would like to formally announce the completion of my first semester of graduate school.  Everything is now turned in and completed.  I am now free to resume my responsibilities of enlightening our community as a whole with my stories of inspiration. So brace yourself for all of the insight to be shared. 

Minutes ago I finished a ten page paper of what I'm sure was some pretty amazing stuff.  Before that I took a four hour final...Which I cannot at this time bring myself to discuss...

For the past week I have been in full hermit mode and have neglected almost all basic forms of hygiene.  As I type this I am not only covered in despair...but a pile of pizza crumbs as well.  My outfit and my hair is a tragedy.  Additionally, earlier I noticed a smell being emitted from my apartment that was unidentifiable.    

This week I have been fueled by nothing but carbs and caffeine.  At one point today I contemplated proposing and marrying a latte.  Ultimately, I decided against it.  There wasn't enough time.  

I have a month break off of school...And there are so many things that I need to share with you.  Consider it my little holiday gift from me to you.  Except this is gift you didn't ask for.  And one without a receipt, so you can't return it.  Basically, I'm like that old aunt of yours that buys you really horrible  and sometimes awkward gifts.  

Below you will find a letter that I wrote to a future graduate Counseling student.  It's not witty, funny, or clever.  It's just a letter.  But it's my letter and I wanted to share.  

After I post this I am going to celebrate this momentous occasion...by taking a shower.

Oh, and Mom...I'll call you tomorrow.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Letter to a Future Graduate Student,                                              December 15, 2011
           
Hello, I am a current student in the Rehabilitation Counseling program.  I have just completed my first semester I am writing you this letter because I wanted to share with you some things that I have learned. 
First of all, be prepared to be vulnerable and open your mind up to new ideas and experiences.  I have done a lot of personal reflection this semester in order to determine what my personal weak points are, and therefore, my areas of opportunity.  I spent some time taking a hard look at who I was in order to identify what I need to work on.  During your first semester your view of yourself and of the world will undoubtedly change.  I now know myself better and know that I always need to keep working on myself as a person, in order to one day be a good counselor. 
Second of all, take a deep breath.  You can do this.  At times in your first semester you are going to feel overwhelmed and may question your decision to enter graduate school.  It is important to understand that your classmates most likely are feeling the same way.  Get to know who is in your class.  Talk to them and really get to know them as people, not just fellow students.  Just know that you are not alone in whatever you may be feeling.  If you are feeling one way, it is most likely that another one of your classmates feels the exact same way.
Thirdly, graduate school is going to be completely different than your undergraduate program.  The main difference is in regards to your course work.  In graduate school it is your job to try your best to thoroughly understand the material before you go to class.  The reason why is because most likely there is going to be a discussion around what you read and or your assignment.  You will be able to better understand and participate in the discussion if you understand the material beforehand.  In addition to the assigned readings, it is also a good idea to take it upon yourself to research the topic on your own by looking up:  websites, joining listservs, reading blogs, journal articles, and joining various groups.  Unlike your undergraduate program, there is no such thing as cramming for your final.  By the end of the semester you either know it or you do not. 
Fourth, know that this is a very large time commitment and plan your schedule accordingly.  You are going to have to put forth extra effort into spending time with your friends and family.  Let your friends and family know your schedule so that they too can plan accordingly.  It seems like this advice is just common sense.  Maybe it is.  Just know that your time commitment to graduate school also impacts those around you.  Also, you might be surprised at the amazing ways your friends and family end up helping you along the way.
Lastly, I have learned that I have a lot to learn.  And I am ok with that.  I am ok with the unknown and know that this is going to be a lifelong journey of learning.  I am excited and look forward to the trip. 
Hang in there your first couple weeks of class, eventually everything starts to make more sense.  When you are feeling overwhelmed, take a time out and do something you enjoy.  Talk a walk. Breathe.  Watch YouTube videos of cute puppies…just do something you love and remember to have fun.
Best of Luck,
Current Rehabilitation Counseling Graduate Student


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forever, Blogging About Things You Never Knew You Wanted To Know,
Miss Oakley

 **Comments are welcome & no judgement will be passed.
 **As with everything I write, Feel Free to Share.
 **Should you wish to read more of my completely profound thoughts throughout the day...
          Follow my twitter account @MissOakley

**PS, If you're a fan of the blog you could become a "Follower" and have posts emailed to you.  It's a pretty elite and exclusive group of followers...so consider yourself lucky.  It's like winning the lottery...Except minus the money part.

2 comments: