Stat Counter

Monday, November 28, 2011

Stuff I Miss This Monday

Dear Readers,

Once again, I find myself wanting to share with you things that you never knew you wanted to know.  Specifically, I wanted to share with you things that I miss.  Now this topic for the post today has been highly researched and contemplated on thoroughly.  AKA...I thought of the first couple things that came to mind and wrote this blog up in about 4 minutes.  (Sorry and you're welcome...)

What started the deep thought process of crap that I miss...Is the fact that I got a new cell phone.  For years and years I have had to have a Blackberry for work...However, I decided to take the plunge and break up with my last Blackberry and start courting a new Android.  My Blackberry was slow.  I'd send texts and tweets...only for people to receive them the next day.  It was almost faster to write a letter.

So I took matters into my own hands, and said goodbye to 2007.  I told my Blackberry:  "It's not me, It's you."

(What really happened was that my Blackberry needed a new battery.  The new battery was $50.  My boo found a deal on this droid phone for $60.)  So this is what rationalized my purchase.  Since I've been waking up to nothing but Saturdays ("My Saturday Situation and The American Dream") for about a year now/have been umemployed.  All major purchases (anything over $5) have had to go through a rigorous analitical purchasing process.  At any rate, I was able to justify this purchase...Rationally.

My boo has since set up my new phone (because he knows what he's actually doing), and it's basically the bomb.  I can text and tweet til my little heart is content.  So watch out world.  I'm about to be all up in your business.

As I made this transition to the new cell phone I started to reminisce of simpler times and made a list of things that over the years I've missed:

Beepers.  Not because they were awesome.  Actually, there were super inconvenient.  Once someone "paged" you, you had to then find a phone (and back then there were pay phones)...and therefore needed to have some change on hand to actually make a phone call...It was a whole process kids.  None of this texting/cell phone stuff kids.  But mainly what I miss is the pager background music.  I'd always record my message with Keith Sweat  or Genuwine crooning in the background...My message would go a little something like this:
"Hey it's your girl Miss Oakley.  Holla if ya hear me.  You know what to do..."  (Beeeeep..)


AOL Chat rooms.  Remember the time when you wanted to get online you had to ask your entire family to get off the phone...then wait the 5 minutes it took to dial up and get online??  There was no such thing as wi-fi.  Now, I don't miss having to wait forever to get online...I miss the sweet chat rooms.  Once, when I was 13 I fell in love with 13 year old boy named "Tyler".  Turns out "Tyler" was actually an older gentleman residing in Florida.


Perms and bangs.  Just kidding.  I re-tried the bang thing a couple years ago.  Turns out, they still look hideous on me.  A lot of girls can pull off bangs...I'm just not one of those girls.  But the important things is that I tried....I now am growing them out and if I ever should want to "try" again...Someone PLEASE talk me out of it.  Now perms, pretty much look bad on everyone.  I don't miss the actual perm itself.  I miss the feeling of "unity" when one of your friends got a wicked bad home perm the night before and shows up to school the next day looking a mess.  I miss that feeling of "sisterhood"...because I knew EXACTLY how she felt...Because most likely I myself, had a bad home perm situation a couple months prior.  My mom was notorious for giving me home perms the night before school pictures.  I think she did this out of love...However, I question her reasoning.  


Regular cameras.  You know the ones where you have to take the film out to get developed before you even know what you actually took a picture of?? Nothing was more fun my freshman year of college, than going to Walmart and picking up my most recent series of pictures.  Now with digital cameras, you can automatically delete any horrible pictures at the time you take them...Not back in the day kids.  That stuff got printed...and it was up to you what you decided to do with your horrible pictures.  I found that it was hard to throw away photos...No matter how horrible I looked in them.  Which is why I have boxes of pictures that I will never show another person.  Thanks 90's.


The 90's.  In general.  You can't beat 90's R and B, Hip Hop, and Rap.  I dare you to even try.


So Let's Reflect, What did We Learn?

  • I got a new phone.
  • My beeper messages were classic.
  • Perms are always a bad idea.
  • The 90's were dope.
So I ask you:
What do you miss??  Do you think perms are always a bad idea??  Do you think the 90's were dope??  Why or why not??


Forever, Blogging About Things You Never Knew You Wanted To Know,
Miss Oakley

 **Comments are welcome & no judgement will be passed.
 **As with everything I write, Feel Free to Share.
 **Should you wish to read more of my completely profound thoughts throughout the day...
          Follow my twitter account @MissOakley

6 comments:

  1. LOL, I don't have to "miss" the pager! I still have one (you can have it if you want to)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is for work, so it's legit. Mine was in middle school...and for personal reasons only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I wanted a pager sooooo bad back in the day. Sadly I was never a cool kid. Also I miss chat rooms? Do they exist? If so I propose some sort of club that meets in a Yahoo or AOL chat room once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There has to be chat rooms still. People love to chat! I endorse your proposal for this once a week meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Modding older Android phones to perform better is one of the fun nerd hobbies I enjoy...And I am super-pumped Ms. Oakley is enjoying the services rendered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my phone. And that you are a nerd.

    ReplyDelete