Stat Counter

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Worst Day is Someones Best

Dear Readers,


I wanted to share with you some of my thoughts.


(I wrote this a couple months ago...)


For the past 16 months, I have been waking up to "Nothing but Saturdays."  Some may refer to this as "Unemployment", but I have never been one to go with the crowd.  And it's more fun to talk about Saturdays than it is about your lack of financial income.  Unemployment isn't one of those topics people jump up and down to talk about.  But Saturdays are.  And if I have to be unemployed...then I'm going to give it a fun term.


I have learned much about myself through this time.  If I had to sum everything that I've learned in the past year it is that:  No matter how bad you think you have it.  Someone has it worse.


My worst day could be someones best day.


A lot of things happened over the past year and a half that I am still trying to understand and come to terms with.  However, I know that I am doing the right thing by trying to look at things in a more positive way.


And the right thing isn't throwing myself a pity party and focusing on the negative.


The right thing (for me) is realizing that things are bad...But that I am lucky.


A while back I was having one of those days where I was on the verge of throwing myself a huge pity party.  I was on the verge of tears and a festival of boo-hoo-ing.


But then I did something.  I stepped outside of myself and looked at my personal situation as if I was someone else.


I imagined I was several different people.  Then I looked at my life objectively (instead of subjectively and emotionally.)  


Looking at my own life through someone elses lens gave me a way to find the good in the bad and the happy in the sad.


It was at this point that I realized that what I felt was my worst day...Could actually be someones best day.


There is always ALWAYS someone out there that has it worse.  That would trade your life for theirs in a second.


When I started thinking this way, I drastically decreased the number of self-imposed pity parties I threw for a party of one.


Does this mean I'll never have another bad day?  No.  However, it does mean that when I am having a bad day that I remember to check my emotions against the reality of the situation:  This horrible day I am having is something another person would gladly trade me for.  Knowing that what I feel like is my worst day, could be someones best...Helps me live another day.


Miss Oakley

No comments:

Post a Comment