Stat Counter

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My "To Done" List

Dear Readers,

I wanted to share my strategy of creating a "To Done" List.

A "To Done" List is something I came up with myself.  (Obviously, because it has a horrible name.)   But it has helped me out...

We all make "To Do" Lists right??  Or, at least most of us do.  If you don't...you probably know someone that does make these lists...Or you know of someone who makes these lists for you...

Lists are a great way to organize things.

I have always been a fan of lists.

In fact, when I am feeling overwhelmed it is my go to strategy.

When overwhelmed I:
  • Make a list
  • Start working on said list
  • Life happens and I tend to it
  • Forget about list
  • Make another list (probably very similar to the first one)

I know...a VERY EFFECTIVE strategy.  Or not really.  But hey, it's something I do and I thought I'd put it out there.

A lot of times my "To Do" lists are just reminders of what I DIDN'T accomplish.  A lot of times they actually make me feel worse instead of feeling better.

So I decided to flip the script.

I started making "To Done" Lists.

What is a a "To Done" List you might ask??  Well, I shall tell you:  It is a list of every single productive thing I accomplished during the day.  It's the stuff you don't give yourself credit for.  The stuff not on your original "To Do" List.

I create "To Done" Lists after I make a "To Do" List that didn't work out as planned.  When I look at the things I didn't accomplish on my "To Do" List I start feeling bad.  That's where the "To Done" List comes in.

My "To Done" list is a reminder that I actually did get things done.  It is also a way that I give myself credit for the things that I do get done.

Why would I do this??  Well, I'm a big fan of being positive and focusing on the good.  Only so much can be accomplished by me beating myself up for what I thought I'd get done...But then life happened...and it didn't.

No matter how many lists I have...Life always gets in the way.  Things happen.  Lists get put on hold.  And that's fine.  I like this strategy because it allows me to take life as it happens and not be so hard on myself.  

Feel free to borrow this strategy the next time you get mad at yourself for not getting all of the things on your "To Do" List done.  Making a "To Done" List is a way you can show yourself (and others if need be) that you in fact moved your life forward in some way, shape, or form.

Miss Oakley

No comments:

Post a Comment