Stat Counter

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My Hobby Is Trying Out New Hobbies

Dear Readers,

I have decided that my hobby is trying out hobbies...My actual hobby is trying out new things.  That's what I like to do.  If I could, I would give every single thing out there a try.  Why not??

Seriously...Here's a list of stuff in my storage unit that at one point I thought I would get into...but either didn't or am currently in the process of trying out:

Golf Clubs- Used them a couple times.  Turns out I'm a horrible golfer.  I even got lessons, shoes, the whole thing.  I'm just not into it.  However, it is fun to go to the driving range every couple of years.  Which is why I still have my clubs and am not ruling it out as a potential hobby.

A Hula Hoop- why not??  I saw this at Wal-mart when I was on the road one day in Southern Iowa when I was Drug Rep.  I decided I had to have it.  It was kind of fun putting it in the Impala with all of the Erectile Dysfunction sample boxes and vials of insulin.  Directly after purchasing the hula hoop I used it quite a bit. I decided to use it publicly.  Because I like to humiliate myself (also, another hobby of mine.)  So I hooped it up in outside of my house for all the neighbors to see.  It was actually a really good workout.  Which is why I still have the hula hoop and am not ruling it out as a potential hobby.

A Sewing Machine-  Also, why not??  I bought it at Target.  I am convinced I would love to learn how to sew.  My mom sewed all of our clothes growing up.  ALL OF THEM.  Except our underpants.  Those she got at garage sales (awesome.)  Despite the obvious emotional turmoil of my youth...I still want to learn how to sew.  Which is why I still have the sewing machine and am not ruling it out as a potential hobby.

Racquetball Rackets and Tennis Rackets-  4 in total.  I took a Racquetball class in college (like an actual class...for credit) and loved it.  Thought I could go pro at some point.  I still love racquetball...and every once in a while I will come across another person that also loves it and then agrees to go and play with me.  I remain optimistic and believe that one day another person will want to play with me again.  And I don't even expect them to have a racket.  Which is why I have 4 rackets and am not ruling it out as a potential hobby.

A Huffy Bike- Also bought on a Drug Rep trip somewhere in Iowa.  This one was kind of a risky purchase.  Risky because I was in no-where Iowa and didn't know if it would fit in the trunk of my car (along with the boxes of pills, vials, etc.)  Because I'm a pro at space optimization...I got that thing in my trunk.  I also bought a helmet.  (Safety first.)  I've used the bike a couple times.  Each time worse than the last.  Turns out, I don't like hills.  Or pedaling.  Or biker shorts.  Or the helmet.  However, I know one day I'll need the bike for something.  Which is why I still have the bike in my storage unit and am not ruling it out as a potential hobby.

A Basketball- I love playing basketball.  Am I good at it??  No.  However, in 2009 this did not stop me from signing up for the Iowa Summer Games shooting competition in the women's division.  And despite all odds.  I won.  Also, important to note...There was not another woman in my age division.  Apparently women my age are busy with families and stuff.  At any rate, I like to shoot hoops at random intervals.  Which is why I carry a basketball around with me in my car and am not ruling it out as a hobby I will once again take up.

A Piano-  This was a Black Friday purchase that I couldn't let pass me by.  Was it 4am??  Yes.  Was I in the right frame of mind to be shopping on no sleep??  Obviously, yes.  I played the piano as a child and remembered at 4am that day that I missed it.  So I got it.  I've played a little since and am convinced this could potentially again be a hobby.  (Fun fact:  I can play 5 instruments...)  I might one day decide to take up my musical inclinations again. Which is why I have a piano and am not ruling it out as hobby I will once again take up.

A Trumpet-  Everyone needs a trumpet in their storage unit.  Or...I played in grade school, Jr high, and high school...and can't possibly part with it.  I always think that one day I might pick it up again.  Which is why I still have a trumpet in my storage closet and am not ruling it out as a hobby that I will once again pick up.

A Box of Crap that I've Written- I have a huge box of journals/notebooks/diaries of my my personal thoughts over the years.  I have always written.  And apparently over the years all of my writings ended up in the important place of:  a box in my storage unit.  So it is clear that what I'm currently doing (writing) is something that I've always done.  Evidence: that box and this blog.  I think I need to hold on to all my writings.  If only for the fact that no one should ever read anything I've written.  So, I shall keep my writings and one day may share some of my thoughts just to embarrass myself further.  Which is why I am keeping the box of crap I've written, sometimes write on this blog, and am in the process of writing a really horrible book.  

You are now looking at my current hobby of writing.  This blog is part of my hobby...but not the total summation of my doings.  I write many other things.  These things are just stuff I either:  keep to myself, am writing in a book(s), OR turn into my professors so they can read. 

As a future therapist it is important that I continuously work on myself and grow as a person.  For me, growing means: getting over myself.  And getting over myself consists of putting my weird and awkward personal life, passions, goals, and random observations out there for the world to see.  Not so that I can be judged by a jury of my peers...But just so I keep myself in a constant state of vulnerability.  It is when I am truly vulnerable that I am able to grow.


So here I am, being vulnerable, in the attempt to grow as a person and as a counselor.  Thank you for helping me do this today by reading my ramblings of how my hobby is trying out new hobbies.  With the current hobby being:  Writing.

Miss Oakley

No comments:

Post a Comment